Scott & Sue + 2

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tree Decorations


There are many reasons I love the Christmas season, one of my favorites being decorating the tree. I love the process of unwrapping each ornament and being flooded with the memories it brings. Both girls listened so intently as I'd shreak with excitement over each ornament. My Christmas tree is so much more than a decoration, it's a tree of memories. The hand-painted moose that my friend Alicia gave me in high school, the angel cat that a friend gave the year my cat Charlie passed, the Star Wars figure from my summer internship at Disney, the friendship ornament from my friend Cori the year we rented the house on Sutherland. Every ornament brings back a flood of memories and stories. My ornaments give me the opportunity to step back and appreciate what all of the special people I have in my life. I was very proud to explain to Emma (even though I know she understand none of what I was saying) what a lyre was and why it is so special to me (my Alpha Chi Omega readers will know the answer to that).
It's so exciting to pass on this Christmas tradition. I started the story of Fred this year. Fred is an elf. He hides in the Christmas tree and watches boys and girls to see if they're being good. Then, Fred reports back to Santa if kids are being good or bad. I hid Fred in the tree and then laughed as Emma would pass through the living room eyeing the tree for Fred. I could almost read her mind as she pondered if he was indeed watching her. I've also started the tradition of buying them a special ornament each year so that one day I can go back and tell them the special stories each year.
I've got the Christmas tunes blasting, the peppermint ice cream in the freezer, the tree decorated... bring on the holiday spirit!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!! Merry Christmas!

November 26, 2008 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Cori Wilson said...

Fred the Elf? You crack me up. If Emma's imagination runs as wild as yours (which I'm sure it does), you know that child is trying to figure out how to get rid of Fred so she can get back to her mischievous ways and still get all of her Xmas presents.

November 26, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home