My daughter-the hotdog
Emma has had some trouble staying on her cot at school during naptime. This has become a huge game for her to pretty much test the limits of every adult in the classroom. The other day the OT happened to be in her class and witnessed Emma's persistence of getting up off the cot and run around the room. So she swaddled her up in a giant blanket. As an OT myself, I definitely buy into this theory-deep pressure provides a calming effect on children. Think about when you get a massage or when you lay under a nice heavy down comforter. It immediately relaxes you. But work on my daughter? I had my doubts. I told her teacher she was more than welcome to continue this tactic but that in my opinion once the novelty of it wears off, Emma will view it as being restrained which in turn will really piss her off.
Two weeks have passed and the swaddling continues to work. She naps for an hour longer than what is typical for her at school. She stays on her cot without getting up to run around. And she loves it! Her teacher said at naptime yesterday she heard from across the room:
"Miss Carla! I need my hotdog Miss Carla!"
This has pretty much taught me two things. Professionally, I learned that the crazy ideas I do to my special needs population also works on typical kids. And Two-unless I want my daughter to spend a large portion of her day as a hotdog she will remain in her crib at home as long as possible. I can already imagine the battles of Emma having the freedom of a big girl bed at night!
Two weeks have passed and the swaddling continues to work. She naps for an hour longer than what is typical for her at school. She stays on her cot without getting up to run around. And she loves it! Her teacher said at naptime yesterday she heard from across the room:
"Miss Carla! I need my hotdog Miss Carla!"
This has pretty much taught me two things. Professionally, I learned that the crazy ideas I do to my special needs population also works on typical kids. And Two-unless I want my daughter to spend a large portion of her day as a hotdog she will remain in her crib at home as long as possible. I can already imagine the battles of Emma having the freedom of a big girl bed at night!
2 Comments:
Again, you taught me something I didn't know. Thank heavens I have friends who are OTs and PTs.
Awesome about the naps! Bradyn's a total sensory kid but it's light touch that settles him down. Took a long time for my OT brain to accept that!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home