Scott & Sue + 2

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Those crazy genes

When pregnant with both girls I would spend hours wondering "will they have my hair? will they have my temperament? will they be smart?" and such.

Most would agree that both girls pretty much look like Scott. Let me share what these lucky girls have genetically inherited from me thus far:

1. When Emma dances I notice that she points her index fingers-just like I do. I never knew I did this until I reflected on college party pics. In every pic I have where I'm dancing (and intoxicated) my index fingers are pointing out.

2. Emma and Kate both have my hands. This must be a tremendously strong genetic trait because my mom, sister and I have the exact hands. For example, my thumbs are straight as a stick (the tip doesn't bend slightly back). They're also very flat. To quote Brian Lary "your thumb looks like someone smashed it with a sledgehammer until it was flat and erect."

3. Emma and Kate both have long torsoes. I laughed out loud when the parents as teacher's lady said about Kate: "oh my, her torso is very long." Brian Lary will love this one! (why do I have so many conversations with Brian regarding the oddities of my body?). Scott and I are the same height when standing. When sitting however, it appears as if I'm a head taller. This is because I'm all torso. Another example-my friend Cori (who is 5'2/5'3 I'm guessing) and I (at 5'8) used to be able to share pants when we were a similar weight.

4. I won't get into the temperament thing....I'm still calling it terrible two's. NOT my stubbornness.

Not quite what I dreamt I would pass onto my kids! But hey, Kate has dark hair. It could be from me just as easily as from Scott, right? And I do physically see some of 'me' in Emma as she gets older. One time a boy at Have a Nice Day Cafe told my friend that he thought I was an incredible dancer. And I guarantee my fingers were pointing. Especially if pointing has any relation to level of intoxication. So maybe Emma will grow up to be an excellent finger pointing dancer!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers and hair are important, no doubt! But who's poker playing abilities are they going to inherit? What NFL team will they call home? Will they prefer shopping or standing out in the rain watching a Mizzou game? Beer or wine????

September 19, 2008 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Team Botanical said...

Okay, I had no idea that you and Cori could once wear the same pants. That really makes me laugh.

September 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Scott and Sue Plus Two said...

Yes, we could but then my bag after bag after bag of potato chips added some inches onto my butt and thighs. So I grew outward and sweet, little Cori has stayed the same! Oh, and ask Cori about the time that she also wore the "same size" pants as a fellow sorority sister named Janell.

September 19, 2008 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger Cori Wilson said...

No, let's not ask Cori about wearing the same size pants as Janell. I couldn't wear those pants ever again after Janell was done with them.

September 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home