My kid IS allowed to be dirty
Over lunch yesterday the topic was the increase in allergies we see in children nowadays. A co-worker commented on what a pain in the a$$ it is to deal with one of her student's peanut allergy. Thinking of Emma my stomach was already cringing. The public elementary schools where I work are not peanut free schools like Emma's daycare currently is. The co-worker went on to say that parents need to just let their kids get dirty. The reason why kids have all these allergies is because parents keep them in a bubble and don't expose them to enough germs.
This is what I said to her (in my head, not outloud):
"Ummm. Excuse me. My child does not have a peanut allergy because I don't let her get dirty enough. Believe me, I expose her to plenty of dirt, both inside and outside my house. And if I thought that letting her eat dirt would eliminate the peanut allergy she'd be having it for dinner. So you can take your retched, opinionated, know-it-all, crotchety old self and shove it. NOT EVERYTHING IS THE PARENTS FAULT!"
Ahh. I feel much better now.
This is what I said to her (in my head, not outloud):
"Ummm. Excuse me. My child does not have a peanut allergy because I don't let her get dirty enough. Believe me, I expose her to plenty of dirt, both inside and outside my house. And if I thought that letting her eat dirt would eliminate the peanut allergy she'd be having it for dinner. So you can take your retched, opinionated, know-it-all, crotchety old self and shove it. NOT EVERYTHING IS THE PARENTS FAULT!"
Ahh. I feel much better now.
2 Comments:
I think you should have busted out with "My daughter has a peanut allergy." I bet it would have stopped her in her tracks.
I'm a big talker, though. I probably would have bit my lip as well. Well, not in my current "the pregnant lady speaketh her mind" stage, but you know what I mean.
Like I always say, "People are stupid."
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home